While the concept of urban hiking may be more trendy (examples here, here, and here) than necessary (in a large urban area you can always take public transit), it is a great opportunity to get some exercise while learning more about the area you live in. Getting started with urban hiking is as simple as:
- Googling urban trails in your local area.
- Checking out maps of your local area (many show paved and unpaved trails).
- Joining up with a group such as the AVA or local walking groups if you don't want to go alone.
- Packing up some basic gear.
- Following some basic safety rules.
- And heading out on an urban adventure.