- Make sure you have working smoke detectors in each bedroom of your home and in the hall upstairs/living room downstairs. Every year many kids are killed in fires because there were either no smoke detectors or they didn't work.
- Have a working carbon monoxide detector and for the love of all that's holy don't use a combustion appliance like a BBQ grill inside your house. This is a common killer because carbon monoxide is odorless.
- Stay home if at all possible during winter storms. Driving can be deadly on snowy and icy roads.
- Don't drink and drive. Alcohol-related fatalities increase during the holidays, don't be a statistic.
- Domestic violence also increases during the holidays. Try to avoid this situation as well.
- Burglary and theft spike too during the holidays; take steps to prevent this.
- I know it's football season and many social events during the holidays revolve around the game (army beat navy for the third year in a row yesterday :( ) but there is pretty overwhelming proof that this isn't a game you/your kids should be playing (87% of players have CTE!). Now every time I watch a game I am less enthusiastic about the game and more concerned for the player's brain health.
- If you are traveling for the holidays. check your destination ahead of time for possible threats (examples here and here).
- Obviously the holidays are stressful, but stress isn't good for you so try to ratchet down your stress levels this holiday season.
- If you are having guests for the holidays, kid-proof your home. Also, lock up or otherwise secure your guns if you will have kids visiting your home.
The blog for adventurers, travelers, mercenaries, fed-types, pseudo fed-types, survivalists, military, techies, researchers...
Sunday, December 9, 2018
10 Simple Holiday Safety Tips
In no particular order...
Posted by Code Name Insight at 6:36 PM
Labels: holiday safety tips
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment