- Learn how to preserve food (canning, making jam, drying, etc). There are literally thousands of YouTube videos and other websites to teach you how to do this.
- Ask around in your local FB and other social media groups for opportunities to glean farmer's fields for some free/cheap produce.
- Get your garden ready for fall/winter.
- Forage for wild edibles (the last of the berry season, fall mushrooms, etc).
- Get ready for fall hunting season if you are a hunter.
- Consider planting a late fall/winter garden if this is possible in your area.
- Check the food in your BOB, as well as your main food stockpile, and rotate/replace items that are near expiring.
- Take the family to a u-pick farm for apples and later pumpkins if you don't grow these items yourself.
- Stock up on staples during the upcoming holiday months (turkeys, baking supplies like four and sugar go on sale during the holidays.
- Set a cooking goal--like cooking all of your meals at home for a week or even a month or taking your lunch to work/school for an entire month--this fall. This will improve your cooking skills, save you money, and probably improve your health as well.
The blog for adventurers, travelers, mercenaries, fed-types, pseudo fed-types, survivalists, military, techies, researchers...
Monday, August 27, 2018
10 Fall Food Tips
It's harvest time which means food! Here are ten things to do in the upcoming weeks:
Posted by Code Name Insight at 8:43 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment