- Duct Tape. I could elaborate but someone already has written a book about the many hundreds of uses for duct tape.
- A thumb drive. Many uses...carry your files with you, transfer files to someone else, carry computer programs on it as well.
- Zipties. Good for securing the zippers of your luggage, handcuffing someone, and many other things.
- A smart phone. Either a Droid or iPhone can give you a platform for hundreds of useful apps in addition to phone service and internet access.
- A pocket knife. I have carried one with me since my granddad gave me my first knife at about 10 years old. Dozens of uses.
- Access to the internet. There is literally nothing you can't learn if you have access to the internet.
- Floss. I carry a flat thing of Glide floss with me at all times. Aside from its original purpose this can be used for sewing, tying things up, for a snare...the list is long.
- Cash. I have known places that won't take checks or credit cards but have yet to run into any business/person where cash can't be used as a negotiable instrument.
- Bleach. Can be used for its usual purpose (when washing clothes), to purify water, for cleaning and sanitizing, and can even be used to make a bomb...
- Matches or a lighter. Fire is a pretty basic preparedness item.
The blog for adventurers, travelers, mercenaries, fed-types, pseudo fed-types, survivalists, military, techies, researchers...
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
10 Insanely Useful Preparedness Items
Here's ten things you should always have on hand in the event of an emergency:
Posted by Code Name Insight at 9:38 PM
Labels: disaster preparedness
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, that is almost a perfect list.ReplyDelete
We had everything but bleach, and given our current status (Google "Flagstaff" and "wildfire") we're good to go.
CNI: Wow, usually your lists are right on. Gotta call you out on this one. Insanely Useful, or just insane?ReplyDelete
A smart phone?
A thumb drive?
Access to the internet?
I'd trade for at least a dozen other things.
A good rope
A small gas chainsaw
is just a start.
There's more than one event for which you need to be prepared. Your list? Great for TEOTAWKI...CNI's list is much more expedient for EDC/EDemergencies
I'd throw in a multi-tool such as a leatherman wave or similar.ReplyDelete