- The food you have stored in your house.
- The food you have stored in your car and other locations (ie: bug out shelter)
- The food in your office.
- The food in other offices in your building/neighborhood/city (bring a crowbar).
- The food running around near your home (squirrel, possum, rabbits, etc).
- The wild food you can gather (berries, cat tails, apples, nuts, etc).
- The larger food in the forest (deer, elk, bear, etc).
- Larger food on local ranches (pig, goat, cow, etc).
- Food in water near your home (fish, shellfish, seaweed, etc).
- Food on local farms (vegetables, grains, fruit, etc).
- Food in grocery stores.
- Food in warehouses/cold storage warehouses.
- Food in institutions (ie: food banks, schools, hospitals, etc).
- Food in local restaurants.
- Food in vacation homes and homes where people have left.
- Food in your yard (dandelions, vegetables and fruit you have grown, etc.).
- Food on the way to its destination (shipping containers, refrigerated trucks, etc).
- Food you can create (quick growing vegies and meat supplies).
- Food provided by relief organizations.
- Food that any other day you wouldn't consider food (rats, bugs, pigeon, etc).
- Food you can have brought in (ie: a contact from an area not hit that could bring you supplies).
- Food that others may overlook (honey from bees, maple syrup from trees, snakes, etc).
- Food that takes concerted effort/materials/equipment to get (ie: whale, other deep sea fish, mountain goat, etc).
- Food that freegans would love (search dumpsters, garbage cans, garbage dumps, etc).
- Food that isn't people food (dog food, cat food, animal food stored in grain silos, etc).
Obviously most of these sources have drawbacks. Some sources may mean you need to break the law to get at it, some sources have a decided ick factor, and some sources mean you my end up fighting over it with others who are equally hungry. Also, once you acquire food from the aforementioned sources, you will need to hide it/guard it/protect it.
Hey, pigeon is pretty darn good! We ate quite a few when we were first married and broke. Just skin and remove the breast, and toss the rest. Tastes just like dark meat chicken!ReplyDelete
Considering how indebted/much further going into debt DAILY this allegedly "free" country is and how popular the "boot stamping on a face forever" vision of the future is among its current "leaders" (to say nothing of those running the countries we owe) this could easily end up being useful info.ReplyDelete
Good post CNI. Also important, is to act quickly.ReplyDelete
Definitely should have added that you need to act quick as other people with the correct mindset will be immediatly out looking for food as well. Also, pidgeon is a delicacy in Chinese cuisine. And finally, don't forget other "institution" type food (#13)--hotel mini bars, conference centers, church kitchens, etc.ReplyDelete
Food is important. Water is more important.ReplyDelete