- Our state is so deep in debt, they are eyeing the public employee pension funds. (yikes)
- Starbucks is cutting 6,700 jobs, Boeing is cutting 10,000 jobs. (double yikes)
- A family was in the news--their child has cystic fibrosis and with budget cuts, the state insurance plan that covers their child may be cut. The family earns too much for the plan that covers the poorest people in our state but not enough to afford to pay their own insurance. (sad, and there's plenty of other people in the same position)
- The post office may have to cut a day of mail delivery due to budget deficits (hmmm).
- Schools want to go to a four day schedule instead of five (kids aren't learning enough now, further reducing school hours is supposed to be a good idea??).
- It looks like one of our a major newspapers will be shutting down (sad but I too am guilty of catching the latest news online or on TV).
- Our state wants to tax cigarettes an additional dollar per pack (I don't smoke but targeting one group like that doesn't seem very fair).
- A man in LA killed his five kids, his wife, and himself, reportedly over financial problems. (stupid, so what if you go bankrupt? Having your family is way more important than money)
Well that's enough doom and gloom for one day...hopefully tomorrow will be less distressing.