- The basics: backpack, ultra-light sleeping bag
- Clothing: trail running shoes, socks, underwear, trousers, t shirt, fleece jacket, and water-proof jacket.
- Hygiene kit: soap, shampoo, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, razor, nail clippers
- Food pack: energy bars, foil pouches of fish, dried fruit, nuts, jerky, instant soup, tea bags, et al
- Supplies: candle, matches, water purification tabs, knife sharpener, spare batteries, knife sharpener, all purpose stainless cup, whistle, fishing kit, lighter, aluminum foil, fire starter, rope, spoon, work gloves, space blanket, chemical hand warmer, large black trash bag, ziploc bags, duct tape, flashlight, whistle, bandanna, towel, binoculars, toilet paper, can of sterno, can opener, repair kit (items for sewing/mending/sealing), tarp, map, compass, solar/battery-powered tri-band radio, set of two-way radios, water bottle, and a first aid kit.
I keep this bag in my car and while I haven't had to "bug out", the items in this bag have been useful in a variety of situations. This bag, in addition to my daily carry items, would help me to survive in any situation.