- What is the current weather/weather forecast?
- What are natural disasters common to the area?
- What types of businesses are in the local area?
- What are the demographics of the area?
- What are ingress/egress options in the area?
- What are possible man-made disasters that could happen in the area?
- What types of safety equipment is located in the area (fire extinguisher, fire alarm, etc)?
- Is there any medical equipment in the area (first aid kit, AED, etc)?
- How close is the nearest hospital?
- What is the security/police presence in the area?
- What are the people/crowd in the area doing?
- What is the "vibe" of the crowd?
- What events have just happened/are happening/will happen in the area?
- What is the political climate in the area like?
- What do you hear?
- What to you smell?
- What do you see?
- What are the common reasons for people to be in the area?
- Are people in the area dressed appropriately?
- What kinds of things are people in the area carrying?
- Is there anything that looks incongruous to the area?
- Is everyone looking at the same thing/is anyone looking away from the action?
- What kind of obstructions are in your area?
- Are there warning systems (audio/visual) in the area?
- Are you positioned to see as wide an angle of activity as possible?
- Can you observe people then close your eyes and remember details about them?
- Have you watched/read the local news today and noted anything of importance?
- Does anyone in the crowd "stand out"?
- Who are the dominant people in the crowd?
- Who are the submissive people in the crowd?
- Is people's body language appropriate for the situation?
- Is anyone acting uncomfortable or suspicious in the crowd?
- Can you identify areas of cover and concealment in your area?
- Look up, what do you see?
- If you had to run out of your area, could you?
- If you had to hide in your area, where would you do so?
- If you had to fight someone right now, would you be able to?
- What sorts of items could be used for weapons in your area?
- Are you carrying your EDC bag with appropriate tools and items?
- Can you analyze people in the crowd and guess what their next actions will be?
- Who in the crowd looks like they would be helpful? Why do you think this (actions, things they have said, etc)?
- Who in the crowd looks like they would be confrontational/aggressive? Why do you think this (actions, things they have said, etc)?
- What time is it and how does the area change at various times (when is rush hour, are people coming to or leaving work, etc)?
- Are there any known problems in the area you are in (gang area, pick pocket area, etc)?
- Look around and see if there are security cameras.
- What are other factors in the area (animals present, an elevator that has been blocked off, someone with a security escort, etc)?
- Are you regularly scanning the area instead of keeping all of your attention on your phone or the task at hand?
- If you are in an area which is generally higher risk (at an ATM, in a dangerous neighborhood, etc) do you have someone with you to watch your back?
- If you had to use your concealed pistol, what would be the tactical challenges in the area and how could you mitigate these?
- Is your gut telling you something that you should pay attention to (an urge to leave the area immediately for example)?
The blog for adventurers, travelers, mercenaries, fed-types, pseudo fed-types, survivalists, military, techies, researchers...
Sunday, July 29, 2018
50 Points of Situational Awareness
Every day, where ever you are, situational awareness is a vital part of your safety and security. Here are a range of questions that can help you improve your situational awareness:
Posted by Code Name Insight at 3:53 PM
Labels: situational awareness
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment