- Have bug out bags pre-packed and ready to go for each family member?
- Have a plan to quickly secure your home from looters as well as notify responders that the home has been evacuated?
- Be able to evacuate the house with the entire family (and pets) within minutes of receiving notice of the mandatory evacuation order?
- Be able to evacuate everyone in the home and meet up with family members who weren't at home in a predetermined spot?
- Have a place to evacuate to?
- Have several ways to evacuate if the main roads near your home were closed?
- Have a full tank of gas for your evacuation vehicle?
- Have the cash/credit card on hand to pay for a few days or more stay at a hotel (including meals out, etc)?
- Know where evacuation shelters are located if hotels are overbooked?
- Have a way to communicate to worried family members that you are OK and where you have evacuated to?
- Have a way to continue: working, paying bills, receiving medical care, etc.
- Know when it is safe to return to your home?
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
12 Evacuation Questions
There was an explosion at a gas plant in Texas today which caused mandatory evacuations in the neighboring towns. Imagine if this happened in your area, would you...