- Have an emergency fund to cover bail and an attorney if needed.
- There are several general rules to follow if you are arrested. Read this, this, this, this, and this before you get into this situation.
- Have someone who is on the outside who can help you (pay bail, find an attorney, call in sick to work, etc).
- It's always good if you have friends who are attorneys or who know attorneys. Picking someone out of a phone book is a crap shoot, defaulting to a public defender can be worse (most are underpaid and extremely oveworked).
- Understand the bail process.
- Don't commit a crime (overly simplified but many people who end up arrested could avoid a world of drama and financial ruin by not being an idiot and driving drunk, beating up the spouse, stealing, etc).
Friday, June 1, 2018
What to Do If You Are Arrested
A guy I know was recently arrested. His mother called me in a panic and it reminded me that such a run in with law enforcement/the justice system can be something people are totally unknowledgeable about and unprepared for. Here's some tips if you end up in this sort of situation: