Now, however, the city is quickly losing its appeal. Water will be an issue eventually, HOA Hell is a real thing, there are way too many people moving here, crime is off the chain, so to speak, and the building--both residential and commercial--in every direction is unending.
After reading several articles and blog posts about the perfect bug out location (bug out locations because I would rather live permanently in a good location than only use a place to bug out to), I am still undecided as to where to move to. Among the criteria I am looking at:
- Small town within two to three hours of a larger city/airport.
- Good weather (New England saw four Nor'easters last month alone...my days of shoveling snow are long past).
- Reasonable property taxes (which obviously rules out New England and New Jersey).
- Low overall tax burden.
- Reasonable housing costs (the explosive growth in Washington, Oregon, and California have pretty much made home prices in these places astronomical).
- Good gun laws.
- Legal casinos (I still like my poker games).
- Good natural resources (water, soil, trees, wildlife, etc).
- Few, if any, natural disasters (Florida, New Orleans, and other low lying coastal areas are an obvious no).
- High speed internet.
- Low crime.
- Educated populace (Las Vegas has the worst school system in the country and it is readily apparent to anyone who lives here how this impacts the society as a whole).
- Good hunting, fishing, and gardening.
- Homogeneous, self sufficient-focused, libertarian leaning population.
- Access to healthcare.
- Access to military services.
- A good library system (Las Vegas has one of the best library systems I've ever experienced so now that has been added to my "nice to have" list).
- Reasonable zoning laws; no HOAs.
- No or low income tax.
...so the search goes on...