- People are violent and crazy
- You always need to be aware, armed, and ready to protect yourself
- Large crowds make a pretty good target
It is also true that:
- Random violence can happen anywhere--from small towns to large cities
- The overall crime rate is actually decreasing
- Social media certainly hasn't helped with the situation
- In fact it is making it worse in some aspects
- But then again it could just be that there is more media coverage of violent crimes (slung at you from all directions) so it may just seem like the world is getting to be a worse place
And as I write this, there is a coup going on in Turkey, but I digress...
The answer? Your guess is as good as mine. My suggestions:
- Live in a rural area with a homogeneous population (where there is racial, religious, educational, and income parity). Although some research shows this may not be the safest overall option.
- Seclude yourself on your own property
- Grow your own food, make as much of the things you need as possible
- Use online ordering and delivery (Amazon, Costco, etc) for your other needs
- Participate in your local (small, isolated) community; this will provide a social safety net
- Develop a way to work remotely instead of going into an office everyday
- Cut down dramatically on the in-bound media messages you receive (I've been to some remote places where news of the outside world came in about once a month. It was nice.)
In essence, plan and prepare like there will be a SHTF event tomorrow...but hope for the best anyway.