- As I posted previously, everything I need for travel is in one spot so I can be packed and on the road within about ten minutes if necessary.
- I pack my one bag (a 30l backpack) the same way every time. I can find anything I need, even in the dark, if necessary.
- I unpack that one bag at my hotel the exact same way as well so that, you guessed it, I can find anything I need, even in the dark if necessary.
- I keep enough cash on hand that I can leave for a weekend trip without having to go to the bank or find an ATM (although I nearly always use credit cards to pay for things when I travel, it is still a good idea to have cash on hand when you travel).
- When I arrive at my destination I do a quick inspection (check the fire exits, walk around the perimeter of the property where I will be staying, etc) and make a few friends (tipping well but not excessively at the valet, front desk, restaurants, etc).
- I have general travel apps on my phone (Google maps, Waze, XE, Kindle) then add others as needed (local transit apps, etc).
- I keep my eating habits (I eat similarly to what I do at home, rarely splurging on fancy restaurants) and exercise habits (walking six to ten miles a day) basically the same when I am on the road.
- These days I don't do the tourist stuff or buy souvenirs. If there are hoards of tourists I happily head the other way (if I absolutely need to visit a tourist attraction I try to get there very early). And souvenir crap is pretty much the same the world over so my only "souvenirs" are things I want/need that I buy at my destination (quality shoes or clothing, etc).
- Unlike 30 or 40 years ago, everything you need to do can be done from wherever you are (banking, bill paying, shopping via Amazon, even working).
- Most importantly, pack light. I see people schlepping their crap (at 50+ pounds per suitcase and multiple suitcases) and have to shake my head. With a single, carry-on sized backpack, I can be in and out anywhere (airplanes, rental cars, hotels, shops) with a minimum of effort and fuss while other people are still trying to get the wheels on their suitcase to point in the right direction.
Sunday, September 21, 2014
A Quick Weekend Trip
I took a quick, unexpected trip this weekend but all was well, in large part due to these basic travel tips: