- Should teachers be armed? Yes. Any adult who is properly trained and chooses to be armed can make a big difference in the outcome of such an event as today's shooting.
- It was reported that a teacher chased the shooter out of the school. Makes me wonder about the why's and how's of such action. Was the shooter out of ammo? Otherwise I am guessing he would have put a definitive end to the chase.
- The shooter apparently posted a crazy rant on FaceBook as many kids are prone to do. Of course the difficulty is in determining the difference between random teenage rantings and a rant which is the precursor to actually shooting up a school.
- It appeared that the school had been proactive in holding lock down and active shooter drills. A very good mark in their favor.
- From the article it appears the shooter turned himself in to someone after the shooting so the police response to an active shooter situation is undetermined.
- How do you protect your kids from such a situation? Obviously there is no good answer. It is a terrible thing to have small town schools look like fortresses complete with metal detectors and armed guards but the flip side is to have a school with no security in which any psycho with a firearm can come in and shoot up the place. Neither option sounds good.
- My prayers go out to the family of the student who died in the shooting.
Monday, February 27, 2012
Random Thoughts on Today's School Shooting
In case you haven't been around the news today, there was another school shooting in Ohio today in which one student was killed and four students were injured. Here's some thoughts: