- A pocketknife. I carry my basic pocketknife with me everywhere I go and it comes in handy about once a week for everything from opening boxes to cutting up an apple.
- A folding buck knife. I carry this in the dash compartment of my vehicle. It is more substantial than a pocketknife, with a locking blade for tougher cutting jobs (or in a pinch, personal defense).
- A fixed-blade knife. Excellent for hunting. Ditto for personal defense.
- A heavy, very sharp, meat cleaver. Here we are moving into kitchen tools. I use this knife a lot in the kitchen, especially when chopping a slab of meat down to size.
- A paring knife. Another extremely useful kitchen tool for small cutting jobs.
- An all around kitchen knife. This is the third of three knives I keep in my kitchen arsenal. While the spouse seems to like a dozen or more knives for kitchen use, with the three listed above, I am all set for any kind of kitchen duty.
- A machete or "bolo" knife. While I have never used this giant-sized knife for defense, plenty of people have. I use my machete for cleaning up brush outside on occasion.
- A utility knife. This type of knife, which uses disposable razor blades for its cutting edge, is super useful for all shop-related cutting purposes. I keep one on my work bench, one in my tool bag, and one in the kitchen junk drawer.
- A multi-tool. This item has a half dozen knife-like implements as well as a bunch of other tools attached to it. I don't carry this with me as my pocketknife works perfectly well for me but I do keep my Leatherman in by BOB.
- A very long, very thin Japanese sword. I keep this, found in my travels abroad, for decoration. Obviously I could use it for defense if necessary but having exactly no skill at sword fighting, the outcome would be iffy at best. It does make a nice conversation piece, however.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
10 Knives Every Prepper Needs to Own
I like knives. I like tools. And for me, a knife isn't so much a "weapon" but a very useful tool. It makes sense to own an assortment of knives so that you will have the proper tool for whatever situation arises. Here are the knives I find most useful: