Here are the things you should be doing no matter what the news is telling you and what the random possible attack could be:
- Be debt free.
- Have an emergency fund (some of which should be cash in hand).
- Have a stockpile of food, fuel, and supplies that could tide you over should you not be able to work/earn an income for a while.
- Be able to grow some of your own food.
- Know how to hunt, fish, and forage for food.
- Have a range of skills that you can use both to improve your own situation and sell to others.
- Have multiple streams of income.
- Be security and awareness-minded at ALL times.
- Be able to protect yourself and your family.
- Be able to "go portable" at a moment's notice.
While everyone is in a near panic attack about shadowy terrorists, remember that the leading causes of death in the US annually are: heart disease (630,000 deaths), cancer, stroke, respiratory disease, accidental injuries, diabetes, Alzheimer's, influenza/pneumonia, nephritis, and septicemia (34,000 deaths). Annual terrorism-related deaths in the US? 2007=0, 2006=1 person by the Animal Liberation Front, 2005=0. In other words, you should be much more worries about your health than about terrorists.